E-mail

Home

Notices

Weather

Photos

       

Longwood, Hampshire
 51 1' 10.80" N 1 13' 42.13" W Height 97-164 m

This website is hosted by 
www.easyspace.com and uses Cookies to help our users . Your details are not given away and you are not followed around the internet with adverts.  By using this site you consent to its use of cookies.

Please note that this  site is not connected with the ownership or  commercial management of the Estate.


Longwood House. Picture with the kind permission of
England's Lost Country Houses

The earliest record we have for Longwood is as a farmstead, Landwode (house by the long wood) in 1272. The next record is as Longwood Farm owned by the Bishop of Winchester in the 16th Century and was granted to Edward Vaughan and Thomas Ellys in 1589.  After this the deaths are recorded of Benedictine Fr William Parker (1575-1655), who made his profession at the Italian Monastery of Montecassino and died at Longwood on 31st May 1655, and then of Robert (Paul) Robinson D.D, who died at Longwood on 6th August 1667.  Longwood House belonged to the 1st Lord Carpenter until his death in 1731.  It then belonged to the Ricketts family and it came into the ownership of the Carnegie, Earl of Northesk through the marriage of Mary Ricketts to William Carnegie 7th Earl of Northesk in 1788 and the house was known for a while as Rosehill (Lord Rosehill being the subsidiary title).  The 7th Earl was third post at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.  Mary Ricketts was the daughter of William Henry Ricketts and Mary Jervis, elder sister of John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent.

The house was sited in the mid 19th Century walled garden, which is still in partly in place, and when it was built the original early 18th Century Garden associated with the Dovecote, also still in place, was removed, along with the sundial and summerhouse.  The House was rebuilt 1879-83 by Architect George Devey, who also built the Dower House or Rosehill Cottage, the walled Kitchen Garden and Douglas and Mays Cottages. The letters GNJ and date 1880  are on plaques at the front of the cottages.  They stand for George John, 9th Earl of Northesk. Above the Home Farm Gate are further initials, possibly  "NSM".

In the 1930s the Duke and Duchess of York (the Future George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) were guests.  Before the Second World War  it had passed to  Lord Eldon (John Scott 4th Earl of Eldon),  Lord-in-Waiting to King George VI 1937-1952.  Lord Eldon sold the estate to  Arnold Laver, a timber merchant from Sheffield before WWII (the agent was John D Wood & Co).  During the war the estate was requisitioned by the War Office and American Forces were billeted in Longwood House.  The house was never in private use again, became derelict, and was demolished in between 1963 and 1967. There was a Roman Catholic Chapel within Longwood House and a Methodist Chapel by the Dower House.


There is a Neolithic Long Barrow close to the site of Longwood House.

Last updated: 19/09/2012

Longwood  - Google Maps

Longwood Dean Farm:: OS grid SU5423 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

References

Longwood Park , (also known as Rosehill Park and Longwood Farm), Parks and Gardens UK

General George the Lord Carpenter

Parishes - Owslebury | British History Online

Mary Ward: a world in contemplation by Henriette Peters p. 374

Collections, illustrating the History of the Catholic Religion in the Counties of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire by G E Oliver DD Canon of the Diocese of Plymouth  1857 p. 536

Antiquarian and topographical sketches of Hampshire by Henry Moody (curator of the Winchester Museum) p. 76

Longwood House - or Rosehill

England's Lost Country Houses | Longwood House

Winchester Museum Collections

The Ancestry of William Henry Ricketts

Mary Ricketts and William Carnegie 7th Earl of Northesk

William Carnegie, 7th Earl of Northesk

The Devey Collection, Sheffield University

George John Carnegie, 9th Earl of Northesk

William Cobbett - Whiteflood and Longwood Warren - August 1823

Mays Cottages 1941-1952

Listed Buildings in the Parish of Cheriton, Hampshire, England | British Listed Buildings

Other Links

Old Hampshire Mapped

Local Statistics

Local Walk

Local Cycle Ride


This website is provided by the Laird Family 2011-12